Michael Wesch on “new media politics of authenticity”
- “In the midst of a fabulous array of historically unprecedented and utterly mind-blogging stimuli……whatever.”
- Why do all people think they deserve to be stars? American Idol phenomenon.
- This generation is the most miserable one, because we all think we are the next american idol, and then when we’re not, we get shocked.
- We know ourselves through our relations with others. New media creates new ways of relating to others. Therefore, new media creates new ways of knowing ourselves.
- I don’t talk to you, but “this” (webcam, text case, etc.). Our conversations are mediated. The medium shapes the message, the conversation, the possibilities for identity construction, and ultimately for self-awareness.
- “Some of the comments on YouTube make you weep for the future of humanity just for the spelling alone, never mind the obscenity and the naked hatred.” – Lev Grossman
- Anonymity + physical distance + rare and ephemeral dialogue = hatred as public performance
- Anonymity + physical distance + rare and ephemeral dialogue =freedom to experience humanity without fear or anxiety
- Media do not just distance us. They connect us in different ways, that can sometimes feel distant, but sometimes that distance allows us to connect more deeply than ever before. New forms of community create new forms of self-understanding.
blog comments powered by Disqus